Dara S. Syrkin
Effective editor committed to the teamwork required to create compelling, polished content. Dedicated to fostering a writer’s success.
Devoted to the power of story and style sheets.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Understanding author’s voice
- Asking writers leading questions to reveal the heart of the story
- Editing for ease of reading via proper grammar and punctuation
- Editing for clarity of story, evolution of characters, accuracy, and flow
- Managing multiple priorities
- Setting and meeting deadlines
- Developing and adhering to style guides
- Acting as cheerleader for writers during the editing process
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style and The Associated Press Stylebook
- Serving as editor for
D.B. Moon's novel He's Either Dead or in St. Paul, a 2015 Minnesota Book Award finalist
Lee Henschel Jr.'s novel The Sailing Master
Lori L. Lake's novel Jump the Gun
- Serving as substantive and copy editor for Kate Hallett Dayton's poetry collection Salt Heart
- Serving as substantive editor for first-time novelist at Regal Crest Enterprises; learning and educating about point of view, setting the scene, dialogue, and character development to help create a well-paced, captivating book
- Editing articles for A View from the Loft; discussing with authors the objective of the piece, organization, tone, and word choice—assuring audiences are served and writers are shown in their best light
- Editing content for specialty fabric magazine websites, refining ability to find the nugget, reach multiple audiences, and follow in-house style sheets
- Reading submitted material as part of acquisition team for Nodin Press
- Proofreading short stories for Coffee House Press
- Acting as coach and substantive editor for memoir writer commenting on tone, pacing, organization of book
- Proofreading marketing materials and establishing brand voice for Thrivent Financial and clients of Hanley Wood Marketing
Freelance editor, proofreader, and writer, 2011–present
Associate Director of Communications, The Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis, MN, 2002–2011
Design Coordinator, Center for Energy and Environment, Minneapolis, MN, 2000–2001
Gustavus Adolphus College, BA environmental studies
University of Aberdeen, study abroad
Hennepin Technical College, carpentry diploma
Professional Editors Network
Reading books that make me dog-ear pages
Connecting people to resources
Collecting found phrases
Listening to elders tell stories
SOME BYLINES AND PUBLICATION SPOTS
Short-short story in Ride 3, anthology about riding bicycles, 2016
Poetry in Nodin Poetry Anthology, 2015
"Let's get personal," Marine Fabricator magazine, March 2014
The latest graphics techniques meet customers' personalization desires and fabricators' market expansion needs.
"Manage the 'tipping point,'" Fabric Graphics magazine, May 2013
Janine Trutna of Big Ink Display Graphics looks at the total cost of ownership.
"New trends in marine fabrics," Marine Fabricator magazine, March 2013
Customers want bright, new fabrics—but providers are cautious not to be victimized by "trends."
"Fabric products aid home health care," Specialty Fabrics Review, September 2012
From fashionable compression garments to bedding to textiles that tell temperature, fabrics play an important role in keeping people well at home.